1 bunch chopped spinach
1/2 cup channa dal (soaked in water for at least half an hour)
1 large chopped onion (about 2 cups)
2 chopped tomatoes
2 small eggplants chopped(about 2 cups)
1 small carrot chopped (about ½ cup)
1 small potato chopped (about ½ cup) (optional)
small amount of dill (suwa) (optional)
amall amount of chopped methi (optional)
2 spoon ginger garlic paste
3-4 chopped green chillies
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1/2 tsp haldi
1 tsp whole jeera
2 tablespoons oil
salt to taste
Once my friend made this for a Potluck and it was so tasty that I had to ask her the recipe. When she made it she has mashed it properly, I like little bit of chana daal texture so didn’t mash it properly. I hope you will also enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoyed it. Thanks Sonia for sharing your recipe…
1) Heat oil in pressure cooker, add jeera, after a minute add onions, ginger garlic paste and green chillies. Stir onions are translucent.
2) Add all chopped vegetables(eggplant, carrot, potato), tomatoes and channa dal and mix well.
3) Add salt, haldi and coriander powder and mix well. Keep stirring for 3-4 minutes.
4) Add chopped spinach, dill and methi and stir for 3-4 minutes, then add 2 cups of water and mix well.
5) Close the lid of the pressure cooker, turn heat to high and let it cook for 3 whistles, then turn the heat to low and let it cook for 5 minutes on low heat and again turn heat tn high and cook for 3 more whistles. Turn off the heat. Wait for the cooker to cool and then open. Mix everything well using a long circular wooden ladle. Taste and adjust salt and your Saibhaji is ready to serve with your choice of Roti or Rice.