1 medium eggplant
½ cup besan
¼ tbs ajwain seeds(carom seeds)
¼ tbs of mustard seeds
1 big onion (1/4th sliced and rest chopped)
3 green chillis
1 inch ginger piece
3 cloves of garlic
½ tbs of turmeric powder
1 tbs curry powder
1 tbs garam masala
4 tbs of tomato puree
3 tbs of cooking oil
2 tbs of lemon juice
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry eggplant
The Eggplant Kofta tastes very good with rice. This is enough to server about 5 people.
1) Clean and chop the eggplant into about 2 inch square and marinade it with little salt and turmeric powder and keep it for 10 to 20 minutes.
2) Grind chopped, onion, ginger, green chilli, garlic and cashew with little water into a smooth paste.
3) Make a thick better of besan (do not add salt) add ajwain seeds and mix it properly.
4) Heat oil in a deep frying pan or wok. Take the eggplant pieces dip it into batter and slowly drop it into the oil one by one and fry it and drain from oil and keep it aside. (while frying the eggplant pieces don’t drop too many, else it will not be able to fry properly.
5) Now take a frying pan with 3 tbs of oil and let it heat and then add mustard seeds and let it finish popping and add the slices onion pieces and fry it till golden color.
6) Add the paste, tomato puree and curry powder and fry it in a low flame till you see oil coming out of the paste. Keep stirring to avoid it sticking to the bottom of frying pan.
7) Add 2 glass of hot water, salt and mix it properly and let it boil and then add the eggplant pieces to the gravy and cover the lid and it cook for a minute. Add the garam masala and lemon juice and stir it properly and let it simmer for a minute and your tasty eggplant kofta is ready to serve with rice.